Rotorua Fire Service senior station officer Joe Pope said crews were called out to Ngakuru about 1.30am this morning.
He said crews spent about five and a half hours battling a scrub fire in a roadside verge. He said the fire was about 400m by 50m.
No houses were in danger of the fire.
Two water pumps and a water tanker was needed to put out the blaze.
Mr Pope said the fire could have been started by one of two things, either a cigarette butt being thrown out of a car window or an electric fence.
He said the incident served as a reminder to people to take extreme care in the dry conditions because fires are more easily lit.
Despite the light rain in Rotorua today, Mr Pope said the city would need about a week of constant rain for the fire risk to reduce.
He said people needed to remain vigilant and adhere to the fire ban.